My tips for today are going to be for the dog lovers out there. I have always known that chocolate is bad/poisonous for dogs, but never really knew why. I also thought that was about the only thing. Well, apparently not. Here's an updated list of harmful foods for you to learn about.
1) Garlic and onions: damages their red blood cells which causes anemia.
2) Macadamia nuts: causes muscle and nervous system problems.
3) Avocados: cause damage to the heart muscle.
4) Grapes and raisins: damages their kidneys.
5) Bread dough: forms gas in their digestive tract and the fermenting yeast can cause alcohol poisoning.
6) Xylitol (in sugarless gum): lowers blood sugar levels because it increases insulin secretion.
7) Chocolate: stimulates the nervous system and heart.
All of these things typically cause vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. However, some of the more scary symptoms can be tremors, seizures and even comas. The reactions vary from item to item and dog to dog. Best advice... Keep out of the reach of dogs!